Men who value looking youthful, awake and energetic at work, know to care for their facial skin.
A skin care regime above and beyond washing and shaving is as important to a professional man as the pressing and cleaning of his clothing. And since the face is where so much our attention lies – especially in this time of countless Zoom calls, top-of-their-game professional men are including a higher level of facial skin care into their routine.
I am not a dermatologist, but I do know enough of the value of skin care both over time, and immediate results to encourage your attention here. Skin care products fulfil the following important professional men’s grooming needs:
- SPF daily protects you from skin cancer
- SPF reduces wrinkles
- Moisturizers maintain a supple skin appearance
- Retinol and Vitamin C products plump from under the skin surface
- Exfoliators remove dead skin cells and brighten up your face
- Anti-puffy eye serum will reduce jet lag and that too little sleep look
- Toners will reduce acne flare ups
- Vitamin creams will reduce the (too-much booze?) broken capillaries on your nose.
- And probably many other reasons I would know if I were a Dermatologist
Men who have great looking skin have a long standing practice of simple skin care steps. These are fast, can be quite inexpensive and really make a difference. Want a deeper dive with linked products? Here is a GQ article, Everything You Need to Know to Start a Skin Care Routine that should suffice, but in the meantime, these are my top 6 “real men” (AKA beginner) skin care tips:
- Buy a facial cleanser to keep in the shower and use on your face in the morning
- Buy facial “wipes” for a super easy, fast cleansing off of the day before bed (no splashy rinse water needed)
- Buy an exfoliator scrub to keep in the shower and use twice a week on your face and lips
- Buy an eye cream (don’t get product #5 in your eyes- stings like heck)
- Buy a day moisturizer with SPF of 30 – apply to your throat as well
- Buy a serum to use as a soothing night product
Note: rub excess product on the back of your hands, rather than a towel. In 10 years they will thank you for it.
Have a few SPF Burt’s Bees lip balm in your winter jacket pockets and car.
Are you sitting down? Quarterly, or at least twice a year, get a men’s facial. Seriously, a proper facial cleans, exfoliates and nourishes the skin to promote clear, well-hydrated skin. The esthetician also will perform extractions, give suggestions on blemish control and help you with eye bags or circles. And trust me – it feels great!
If you are a beginner, you can pick up everything I listed above in the skin care section of your local CVS, or better yet, at a Sephora or Ulta. And yes, if your head is spinning – just call me. 🙂
Ann Lindsay is Style of Success and Suited for Love
I work to make you look effortlessly confident.
Image Consulting — Personal Styling
Concierge Shopping — J.Hilburn Menswear Stylist
I bring confidence, organization, and efficiency to your life.