It’s all in the details – picking the “little black dress” that is right for you involves knowledge of what lines and styles look best on you.
1. If you read my newsletter, you’ve already read about this gal. Perfect if you are over 5’9″, under 130 lbs and (probably) less than age 30.
2. Strapless dresses are quite bare – not suitable for office parties, and they have to fit like a GLOVE to eliminate self conscious hoisting. Because the bodice has to be worn so snug, any extra “softness” your body might have in the chest area is now going to bulge over the top of the dress in your armpit area. Probably not the look you are going for.
3. For a more mature woman, this black dress has good coverage, lovely feminine lines and creates the perfect back drop for an amazing necklace.
4. This dress has such a beautiful neck line I would accent it only with a delicate string of pearls or chain. The cut is feminine, the length good.
5. If your weight tends to settle lower down, you may feel more confident with your legs covered to below the knee this halter dress allows coverage down to a perfect length.
6. Graceful and flowing, this black dress is more romantic and soft. The bit of sheer fabric give a bit of cleavage coverage, making this an appropriate dressy office party option.
7. This option allows a full figured gal to wear a foundation garment and still feel like she is showing off a bit. Not as bare as strapless, its an option for those who want to be more bare.
8. Coverage should not mean dowdy. This feels heavy and dark and … icky. Either it (or her) has no shape at all. Notice the lines of her leg are cut off by the ankle strap sandals.
9. This curvacious number is not just for the very slim. There is total coverage and if you have anything close to an hourglass figure (even plus size) this can be a knock out on you.
10. This “cheap” little black dress shares the sentiment with how others will perceive you.
11. Maybe it’s the gloves, but this Audrey Hepburn-esque dress knocks me out. It’s best on a slim women, but if you have the lines, it does too! Super classic, wear with pointed toe pumps rather than platforms.
Want help creating a Holiday Wardrobe that you can be proud of?
Call me. I created Style of Success for Women because I am passionate about helping real women just like you look and feel terrific!
I will c0me to your home and together we will discover:
- What looks best on you and WHY
- What belongs in your closet and what doesn’t
- How clothing can influence how you are perceived (how could this be valuable at the office? Or on a date?)
- Ensure you make the highest and best use of your wardrobe investment dollars with professional personal shopping services.
I am a Personal Image Consultant and a J Hilburn Stylist
I bring confidence, organization, efficiency to your life.